Thursday, July 26, 2012

Will I Need Surgery For Plantar Fasciitis?

95% of people who have heel pain will not need surgery as part of their treatment course. Most conservative treatment options will resolve plantar fasciitis pain. Only if six months of non-surgical treatments have not helped ease your pain and the pain is affecting your daily activities will a doctor consider surgery. Having surgery for plantar fasciitis is not a guarantee that the pain will go away. About 75% have less pain than they did before surgery.
There are several types of surgery for plantar fasciits. One of the most common types of surgery is the plantar fascia release. This surgery involves cutting part of the plantar fascia ligament to release the tendon and relieve inflammation of the ligament. Plantar fascia release can be done either by cutting through the area (open surgery) or by inserting instruments through small incisions (endoscopic surgery).
The surgery is done by making an incision on the foot above the heel pad, where the thicker skin of the sole meets the thinner skin on the back of the heel. If the surgery is done endoscopically, the podiatrist will make a small incision on either side of the heel below the ankle bone. The plantar fascia may be detached from either the heel bone or relieved by making incisions on either side. The bone surface may be smoothed to allow the plantar fascia to heal under less tension. A piece of damaged tissue may be removed as well.
Traditional open surgery will require you to wear a non-weight-bearing cast or brace, such as a CAM walker for 2 to 3 weeks after surgery to allow tissues to heal. If you have endoscopic surgery, you can begin weight-bearing immediately and can begin wearing normal shoes as soon as it is comfortable. Most people return to normal activities 3 to 6 weeks after surgery.
After surgery you will begin a gradual strengthening and flexibility program. You will not be able to run or jump for 3 months after surgery.
Risks of this surgery include: nerve entrapment or tarsal tunnel syndrome, recurring heel pain, neuroma, delayed wound healing, prolonged pain or swelling, delay in return to activities, infection, risks of anesthesia, and the possibility that symptoms will get worse.
To help you decide if surgery is best for you, here are some questions you should ask:
1. My symptoms have improved with the use of medicines, orthotics, or other nonsurgical treatments.
2. Before considering surgery I am willing to try nonsurgical treatments for 6 months to see if my symptoms improve.
3. I have used orthotics, medicines, and other nonsurgical treatments for 6 months and my symptoms are still the same.
4. My heel pain is interfering with my ability to work.
5. My heel pain is interfering with my athletic or exercise program.
6. I would prefer to avoid surgery if at all possible.
7. My heel pain is forcing me to adjust the way I walk, stand, or run.
8. I have heel pain, but neither my work nor my personal life are affected.
If you are experiencing heel pain, call our Rocky Hill or Middletown office to make an appointment.
Jeffrey S. Kahn, DPM
Connecticut Foot Care Centers
Heel Pain Doctor in CT
Podiatrist in Rocky Hill and Middletown, CT
Visit our website, follow my tweets on Twitter, and friend or like our page on Facebook.
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. yeah right. Having a surgery for Plantar Fasciitis will surely reduce 75% of the pain.. Then you'll be able to wear your most preferred shoes.

    Shoes For Heel Pain

    ReplyDelete