Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Rays' Longoria Suffering With Plantar Fasciitis

Tampa Bay Devil Rays slugger Evan Longoria has been starting at designated hitter because he is suffering
from plantar fasciitis in his left foot.
"Just a little plantar issue," said Longoria. "It's probably been bothering me for two weeks now. But it kind of gets to a point where I don't feel like I'm doing any good to go out there and run around on it. So I can DH and still be effective.
"... It's just standing around, really. It feels pretty good at the beginning of the game. And by the time the end of the game comes around, if I've been in the field, it gets pretty sore."
The Rays have been playing some long games recently, and Longoria believes this is partly to blame for the plantar fasciitis flare-up. 
"Some of those games in the Boston series, I was hurting by the end of the game," Longoria said. "My hope is that with a couple of DH days, stay off the turf here and then get the off-day going into Boston, that should give it enough time to be fine and I should be back out there."
This is the first time Longoria has dealt with the plantar fasciitis devil.
"It's something I haven't dealt with before. And it's pretty painful, so I can understand what Albert (Pujols) is dealing with over there in Anaheim. It's kind of a weird deal. But it's not going to keep me off the field. Whether it's DH or in the field, I feel like I should be over it by the off-day (on Monday)," Longoria said. 
We love your enthusiasm and your positive attitude, Evan, really we do, but it's highly unlikely you'll "be over it" any time soon. You've clearly never had plantar fasciitis before, and don't realize how long it's going to take for you to feel 100% again. Only with time, rest, and rehabilitation will you feel better! Have a chat with Albert Pujols, who has been suffering from plantar fasciitis for more than seven years!
Kelly Johnson has been filling in defensive for Longoria while he's playing DH.
Reference: MLB
If you are experiencing heel pain, call our Rocky Hill or Middletown office to make an appointment.
Jeffrey S. Kahn, DPM
Connecticut Foot Care Centers
Heel Pain Doctor in CT
Podiatrist in Rocky Hill and Middletown, CT
Visit our website, follow my tweets on Twitter, and like our page on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment